Saturday, June 27, 2020

Bungee Jumping in Phuket Thailand


One day on the ship we had a day to do something while we were in Phuket Thailand. Mickey the bartender who was from the Netherlands says to me and a few others how about doing some bungee jumping.

I looked at him and said no way! He says back it will be fun. There is one here in town not far away.  Really if you are going to do something like this you have to be impulsive and not think too long about it or your mind starts thinking what about if you are one in a 100,000 that jump and the bungee snaps. So after a quick lunch on the ship we head out to the bungee jump location. Mickey knows what he is doing because he had moved to the Philippines and was familiar with this part of the world. Although why I thought that had anything to do with bungee jumping I totally do not know. I have to admit it was comforting though.

There were about nine or ten of us which was great because you had the group force support behind every jumper.

Well when you watch the video below it was exactly how it was except for a couple of things. One was when the guy counted to three the first time I chickened out. It took me till the second count to jump. Second of all the guy said to look far ahead and spread your arms. When I was there the guy who probably after all these years is not the same one of course told me to look down. That was not a good thing to instruct when one is standing on the ledge and seeing the others sitting around having a beer looking up and laughing.

I was the second to jump because I was waiting to see if the first one would survive. I had to have proof that this thing worked. It was a big crane that made that grinding noise as it went up leaving you with a sense that perhaps I shouldn't be worried so much about the bungee cord snapping. Especially when the higher you got the more the crane started to rock a bit.

I jumped and felt nothing for a few seconds then the bungee whipped me back up and for the next two minutes while I was going up and down all I could say was the F word over and over again.

Would I do it again? Probably not now of course but I was glad I did when I did. We had a blast that day and after my jump felt like I had earned my right to sit and have a few beers and laugh at the others who had not yet jumped. We all did which was fabulous. I think it cost $50 US dollars at the time. Well worth it and a memory I will always cherish.

By the way no alligators were harmed during the jump.

                                              Bungee Jump in Phuket Thailand 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment

Still Doing Ubereats

 It’s been a long time since I posted. Since October 2021 in fact when I last talked about working at Ubereats. Well this January I am compl...

Some Most Read Posts