Saturday, June 6, 2020

Selling the Condo



So when we left off yesterday it was after the hernia operation and a close call with my bloodwork.

The thing about Orangeville and living in this condo townhouse for the previous 8 years was the bills kept getting higher. I remember at the beginning our hydro for example was affordable but during this time with the baseboard heaters it almost tripled monthly. Orangeville Hydro was killing us. The condo fees kept going up, the travel between Orangeville and Brampton then Mississauga to work for lunches was getting more costly. The kids were doing piano lessons and karate which was something we wanted them to do and they enjoyed it a lot. So much so they still play. In fact today my oldest son got a new Yamaha keyboard. But with more expenses and the income leveling off we were getting deeper and deeper. From the first day of the month till about the 20th we were bobbing up and down in overdraft. It wasn't till the Child Tax Benefit deposited at that time we were ready to take on the next month. It was a case of the dog chasing it's tail every month.

I was feeling something not right either. The work I used to be able to do I could not anymore because the back was screwed. I had odd things starting to happen like a bout with cellulitis when I had to take a couple of days off work. That is an infection you get when you have to kill it with an antibiotic taken through an IV. My feet were not as good as before as now there was some swelling after a long shift and the tiredness I mentioned yesterday was consistent.

After some discussion with my wife we agreed to sell the condo. The market was going crazy and we thought rather than wait another year like we were thinking why risk that let's do it now. Besides, the kids were outgrowing Orangeville being the place where people just commute from to work in Toronto who have young families. The schools we were not terribly happy with as well.

Shortly thereafter we sold the condo at a good profit. It wasn't easy to decide on where to move but after checking a few places out even as far away as Ottawa we settled on Guelph about 50 minutes away. It was a good move as it turned out. The place is great for schools and it being in the same school board we were shocked at the difference with the teachers and courses offered. The kids are much more challenged now with the younger one even becoming a valedictorian graduating from elementary school a couple of years ago and is next year heading into the IB program in high school.

Thankfully we decided to rent a big house with lots of rooms so there is not that pressure of having to fix stuff. All we do is cut the grass and keep it looking reasonable. Definitely a place and living space we were looking for.

Happily we moved on August 1st of 2016. I said goodbye and thank you to the Terrace for a second time as I had no plans on commuting from Guelph to Brampton. There were enough jobs in Guelph that were available and one just happened to be the Keg. The same restaurant brand I worked for in Brampton. Already I had applied before the move and was hired. There we were in a nice city, out of debt and ready to enjoy life. Or so we thought..

More tomorrow....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Still Doing Ubereats

 It’s been a long time since I posted. Since October 2021 in fact when I last talked about working at Ubereats. Well this January I am compl...

Some Most Read Posts